Environmental pollution has existed for centuries but only started to be significant following the industrial revolution in the 19th century. Pollution occurs when the natural environment cannot destroy an element without creating harm or damage to itself. The elements involved are not produced by nature, and the destroying process can vary from a few days to thousands of years (that is, for instance, the case for radioactive pollutants). In other words, pollution takes place when nature does not know how to decompose an element that has been brought to it in an unnatural way.
HOW TO PROTECT AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
1 Making Sustainable Transportation Choices
- Walk or ride your bike whenever possible.
- Use public transportation.
- Consolidate your trips.
- Carpool to school or work.
- Get regular maintenance on your vehicle
- Drive safely.
- Consider purchasing a hybrid or electric car for your next vehicle.
2 Making Sustainable Food Choices
- Choose local food whenever possible.
- Reduce or eliminate your consumption of animal products from factory farms.
- Choose organically grown fruits and vegetables.
- Grow your own fruits and vegetables.
3 Making Sustainable Energy Choices
- Turn off lights and electronics when you are not in the room.
- Look for small changes that can lead to big energy savings.
- Keep your thermostat set to 78 degrees in warmer months and 68 in the colder months.
- Make sure your windows and ducts are well-sealed.
4 Recycling, Reusing, and Reducing Your Waste
- Buy used items whenever possible.
- Buy reusable items.
- Choose items with minimal packaging.
- Recycle everything that you can.
- Purchase items made from recycled materials.
5 Keeping Chemicals Out of the Water Supply
- Use fewer chemicals.
- Don't use pesticides and herbicides.
- Don't flush medication.
- Dispose of toxic waste properly.
- Conserve water.
6-Getting Involved and Educating Others
- Learn about the major polluters in your area.
- Tell people about what you know.
- Write an article for your school or local newspaper.
- Protest local polluters.
- Join an environmental group.
Coordinator : Mr. Seyhan AKDOĞAN
Assoc: Akdeniz Üçüncü Göz Eğitim ve Gençlik Derneği
Address : Cumhuriyet Bulvarı Kazanlı Eski Belediye Binası Sağlık Ocağı Üstü Kazanlı - Akdeniz/MERSİN
Tel & Fax : 0090 324 326 33 12
Web (official) : www.thirdeyemed.org.tr
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org.